Our Lady of Guadalupe is such a famous Marian devotion that attracts both believers and non-believers. She is considered today the Patroness of all Spanish-speaking people and communities. She is celebrated on 12 December and among all the Virgins and Marian apparitions, such as Our Lady of Lourdes, Our Lady of Fatima, Our Lady of Medjugorje and Our Lady of Loreto, she probably is one of the most representative and well-known.
Discover more about Our Lady of Guadalupe, by reading the following paragraphs.
Who is Our Lady of Guadalupe?
The Marian devotion to Our Lady of Guadalupe attracts millions of pilgrims who travel every year across the world to visit the famous Basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Mexico (Mexico City), since a long list of miracles is associated with her image, also known as “tilma”.
This devotion is linked to a series of five Marian apparitions which occurred in December 1531. She is one of the many dark or black skinned Madonnas of Christianity and she is considered the Patroness of the Americas and Philippines and Protectress of Unborn Children. Here below, you can find a heartfelt prayer for the unborn to the Mexican Virgin.
Prayer to Our Lady of Guadalupe for the Unborn
we implore your intercession for every child at risk of abortion.
the priceless gift of their child’s life.
and lead them to forgiveness and healing through the Divine Mercy of your Son.
until God calls them home.
Guide our public officials to defend each and every human life through just laws.
to speak for those who have no voice.
Jesus Christ, who is Love and Mercy itself.
The miraculous image of the Virgin of Guadalupe
Since a long list of miracles has been associated with it, the miraculous image has been examined many and many times by scientists and professionals. Apparently, there is not any undersketch or brush stroke on the image, which should be normal for any kind of hand-painted artwork. Furthermore, the scientists cannot explain what is the origin of the coloring: for these reasons, it is said that the image has not been painted by human hands.
Some inexplicable data and experiences are these following ones:
- The image and fabric have lasted intact for nearly 500 years, while the its material (basically, cactus fiber) should have decomposed within 15-20 years of being woven;
- No natural or animal mineral colorings or paint have been found on the image;
- The image is iridescent and cannot be produced by hand;
- A doctor once heard a heartbeat coming from the image when he placed a stethoscope over the painted womb;
- The painted eyes have the refractory characteristics of human eyes.
Representation of the miraculous image of Our Lady of Guadalupe.
Curiosities about the image of Our Lady of Guadalupe
In addition to the inexplicable facts written above, the miraculous image of Our Lady of Guadalupe has some very interesting curiosities that can help us interpret her meaning and symbolism:
- The Virgin appears while standing upon a crescent moon (the same moon which shined in the sky the night of her apparition);
- The Virgin’s mantle is a constellation map, representing the same stars which sparkled in the night of her apparition;
- The Virgin’s garment is a topographic map of the geographic location of her apparition;
- The black cross that the Virgin wear at her neck symbolizes the Catholic missionary priests;
- The four-petal flower over her womb is the Aztec symbol of life and divinity.