“There is no problem, no matter how difficult it is, whether temporal or above all spiritual, in the personal life of each one of us, of our families… that cannot be solved by the Rosary”.
This is what Lucia dos Santos, one of the shepherd children who saw the apparition of Our Lady of Fatima, once said about the blessed Rosary. Lucia probably referred to the Dominican tradition, according to which Saint Mary made fifteen promises to Christians who faithfully pray the Rosary. As the 20 mysteries, the 15 promises of the Rosary too can help us focus on spiritual goals and encourage us to pray on a daily basis.
According to the Dominican tradition, the Virgin Mary revealed the 15 promises first to St. Dominic and later to Alain de la Roche, a Dominican friar very devoted to the Rosary (XV century). Nowadays, the 15 promises fall under the category of "private revelation".
The 15 promises guarantee Saint Mary’s assistance to those who pray the Rosary when facing problems and worries of daily life. Moreover, she will intercede for our eternal salvation.
The 15 promises
These are the 15 promises of the Blessed Virgin Mary to the faithful who pray the Rosary:
1. Whoever shall faithfully serve me by the recitation of the Rosary, shall receive signal graces.
3. The Rosary shall be a powerful armor against hell, it will destroy vice, decrease sin, and defeat heresies.
4. It will cause virtue and good works to flourish; it will obtain for souls the abundant mercy of God; it will withdraw the heart of men from the love of the world and its vanities, and will lift them to the desire of eternal things. Oh, that souls would sanctify themselves by this means.
5. The soul which recommends itself to me by the recitation of the Rosary shall not perish.
6. Whoever shall recite the Rosary devoutly, applying himself to the consideration of its sacred mysteries, shall never be conquered and never overwhelmed by misfortune. God will not chastise him in His justice, he shall not perish by an unprovided death (unprepared for heaven). The sinner shall convert. The just shall grow in grace and become worthy of eternal life.
7. Whoever shall have a true devotion for the Rosary shall not die without the sacraments of the Church.
8. Those who are faithful to recite the Rosary shall have, during their life and at their death, the light of God and the plenitude of His graces; at the moment of death, they shall participate in the merits of the saints in paradise.
9. I shall deliver from purgatory those who have been devoted to the Rosary.
10. The faithful children of the Rosary shall merit a high degree of glory in heaven.
11. You shall obtain all you ask of me by the recitation of the Rosary.
12. All those who propagate the holy Rosary shall be aided by me in their necessities.
13. I have obtained from my Divine Son that all the advocates of the Rosary shall have for intercessors the entire celestial court during their life and at the hour of death.
14. All who recite the Rosary are my sons, and brothers of my only son Jesus Christ.
15. The devotion of my Rosary is a great sign of predestination.